How to put yourself first and not feel guilty about it!
How many people do you know that feel like they are being selfish for putting themselves first? I bet you know quite a few or you may feel selfish yourself.
I was one of them until I decided that I was done feeling that way!
It all started because I was too scared to take a stand for what I wanted. I was afraid of letting someone else down because I wanted to do something outside of the box and different than what they were used to. This was when I started learning about cutting the cords to specific relationships in my life.
It wasn’t an easy process by any means, but it was definitely worth it. I learned so much about myself during the process by connecting with my inner self. I took the time to feel everything that I wanted to feel, ended up doing what I wanted to do (despite what anyone else would think) and I realized my own self worth. This is much more important than appeasing others.
“Stress, anxiety and depression are caused when we are living to please others” - Paulo Coelho
Here’s how I found peace within myself and understood that it was okay to put myself first:
- I realized what I wanted in my life. There’s a lot to start asking yourself. What do you really want in your life? Start by sitting in silence and doing a brain dump of everything that comes to mind when you think of what you want.
- I had a full understanding of my relationships. Ask yourself the following questions: Are your relationships with friends, family and your significant other healthy? Do the people around you truly support you when times get tough? Are you participating in these relationships for the right reasons?
- I needed to develop boundaries. THIS IS HUGE. Once you decide what you want in your life, understand all of the relationships (including the one with yourself) and how they make you feel, you need to start creating boundaries so that you can start coming into your own. If something doesn’t feel right, don’t do it.
- I trusted my intuition. I’ve always felt like I “knew” what was going to happen or what happened behind my back. My intuition was always right and I knew when something wasn’t good for me. You need to start trusting yourself. Your intuition speaks to you for a reason.
- I made myself a priority. I started doing what I wanted to do and didn’t go out with my friends when they wanted to go out. I started doing things on my terms and it felt GOOD.
Now it’s your turn. If you feel like you haven’t put yourself first, start now.
Start by evaluating what’s going on in your life and follow the 5 steps that I took to find freedom from the guilt. You will thank yourself for it later!
How can you start putting yourself first every day and not feel guilty about it?
Need some clarity and confidence right now? Check out my Clarity & Confidence Mini Course!
Feeling stuck and need a little boost? Girl, I get it! Don’t we all… That’s why I created The Self Care Success Kit! Download your copy today!