The Importance of Self Care
The most important person in your life is you. Period. End of story.
We all spend so much time doing things like taking care of our families, going to work, running errands, and keeping our homes tidy. However, we often neglect our own needs (I know I did, for too long).
I created a list of the things that I implemented in my life (self care wise) that helped me find myself, now I want to share them with you!
Here is my top 10 list of ways that you can practice self care right now:
- Get a journal – Use a journal to write down all of your thoughts & feelings throughout your day. Reflect on these every day. Find things that you feel comfortable changing and take each step to make that happen.
- Find a safe space to be alone – If you’re an introvert like me, I LOVE to spend time alone. It’s a time where I can recharge my batteries, get rid of the negative energy and replace that with positive energy. Meditation and Yoga helps when you’re in this environment.
- Make time for yourself – Even if it’s 10 minutes a day, make time for yourself. Read a book that you’ve wanted to read, draw, write, color… do whatever it is that makes you happy.
- Set boundaries – This is a SUPER important. If you do not set boundaries with people, things, and actions in your life, it could quickly lead to overwhelm. Cutting off the negative energy will help you focus on the positive.
- Have a positive mindset – Change your mindset. Change your life. Once you decide to change the way you see the world, you will start to notice little changes. Try reciting a mantra or affirmation everyday and make it habit… but if you forget to do it, don’t beat yourself up (that’s negative self talk).
- Have a positive support system – Surround yourself with people who show you unconditional love. These people should support you in every way they can and understand what you are trying to do to better your quality of life. Need more support? Join Believe & Balance.
- Let go of the guilt – You need to understand that YOU need to take care of yourself. It should be one of the top priorities in your life. Take a step back and write down all of the things that you want to do for yourself but feel guilty doing.
- Get organized – It’s a simple as it sounds. Living in a clean and organized environment lessens anxiety and stress because everything is placed exactly where it should be. Also, ensuring that your calendar and schedule serves you will help with decreasing stress (who really wants to be late for everything?!). Check out some of my organization ideas here.
- Don’t make excuses – If you don’t want to do something, you won’t do it. It’s that simple.
- Flexibility & Understanding – Be flexible with making changes to your daily routine and understand that these changes will not happen overnight. This journey is exactly what you make it.
How do you believe self care impacts your life? Do you have set self care practices in place? I'd love to hear some of them. Comment your favorite self care routine below!
This post includes affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclosure.